Concrete is one of the world’s most useful construction materials. Learn more about it with these 5 fun facts from Western Specialty Contractors.
1. There are several places where concrete may be used on a building or facility including parking garages, sidewalks and roofs.
2. The ancient Romans were the first to use concrete as a building material. The first concrete was a mixture of the mineral lime, water and volcanic ash.
3. Concrete is the most popular building material in the world. Over 20 billion tons of concrete is used every year.
4. The word “concrete” comes from the Latin word “Concretus” which means “to grow together.”
5. Western Specialty Contractors restored the World War II Illinois Veterans Memorial Globe in Springfield, Illinois. The 22-ton, white globe is made of concrete and is 12 feet in diameter.